Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Lessons from cyberspace


In my short foray into online dating, I have discovered a few truths that I'd like to share with you.

1) Sentence structure is an excellent indicator of mental health. (ie. c u later)

2) A lot of people aren't over their previous relationships. (Wow. She hurt you bad, eh? Can't believe it's taken you 18 years, 4 months, 12 days and 6 hours to love again.)

3) Beware the over-use of the personal pronoun.

4) Pets are the new relationship substitute.

5) Having a connection on paper and having a connection in person are two entirely separate things.

6) I think I am better at being in a relationship than I am at dating.

7) Online dating is a time suck.

Anyway, it's still early in the process but I persist, firm in the knowledge that I am the Universe's tinkle ball -- happily being batted around the block while I await my one true love. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Joe said...

Interesting. I have heard some guys doing this Match.com thing, and they said they have fairly good results. Did not question "fairly good results" except for the question; "are people who they say they are?"

My guess is this: It's better to going to a bar and meeting people. I know that didn't work.

It's too bad you can't just walk up to someone and say, "You look nice. Tell me about yourself and are you a weirdo?" And then say, "Let's get a cup of coffee and just talk." I would want to hear not what they said, but see their body movement like; how their eyes moved (did they dart, look around the room, etc), how they shifted in a chair, did they ask real questions or superficial crud - " I think I would fail my own test frankly. I suck at dating because I am not sure how much to reveal that I am "an idiot" who likes to be funny and make others laugh, like the lighter side of life - but can overanalyze what someone said, don't want to hurt others and don't want to be hurt, want a person who can "contribute" to the relationship and not be a an energy sucking vampire, etc and etc some more.

PS - Do people really look like they look in those photos? They alway look "happy" and "fun."

PPS (post post script) - I don't think I would like to reveal all in the bio thing - because there is not a question like; "Are you an idiot sometimes? When?" Of course this would take too long to explain without a lot of more explaining and gesturing

©km said...

Yes, grasshopper. You know how may peeps I've had the opportunity to meet via the online avenue. You catch on really quick.

The fact that you are even aware of #1 means that you've just written off at least 50% of the online peeps. And that's a good thing. The time suckage would be immense if you hadn't figured that one out later, than sooner.

#5 is why I try to meet ASAP if there is any kind of connection on paper.

#2 is why I think so many online are just looking for someone to talk to. They need pen pals or a therapist. Or both. You are neither. Ditch 'em.

Good luck my friend - I've done pretty much all the sites - but I do recommend "Plenty of Fish" - only because they do a whack of personality tests, similar to match.com - but are free.