Monday, June 9, 2008

King David

I'm savouring David Sedaris' new book.

While I usually race through things, I'm reading this one nice and slow because I know it'll probably be two years before his next new book is out. So I'm practicing patience.

Rick Mercer -- another funny guy -- interviewed Sedaris for Saturday's Globe and Mail.

Mercer admitted to having bought and given away numerous copies of Me Talk Pretty One Day. He said he considered it a moral failing if his friends didn't enjoy it.

This made me laugh out loud.

I've got a few books like that. I think we all do.

It's the stuff that speaks so personally to our own experience that we can't imagine having any kind of meaningful connection with someone who doesn't get it. At least a little.

I saw David Sedaris in person -- even talked to him -- the last time he was in Toronto. He was as quirky and charming in person as he seems in his books. He's coming back on July 10th. I think I might have to see him again, for old time's sake.

No comments: