Friday, June 6, 2008

Slippers

I have four fabulous friends from my CARE days.

We call ourselves Slippers because, no matter where we've been in the world, whenever we get together, it's easy. Like putting your tired feet into a comfortable pair of slippers.

I write about them today because we've all just had a long newsy email exchange. Only two of us are living in the same city at the moment, but it doesn't seem to matter.

GS is living in Bangkok now. She's the CEO of an AIDS organization and has managed to parlay her brilliance and her own private medical crises into a life spent helping people. My BFF and I will see her in the fall, when we celebrate his 40th, four years too late, in Thailand.

KOB is an associate country director in Zambia. She was back in Canada recently when her Dad bravely lost his battle with cancer.

HR recently left her position as director of communications for a big health charity to a position with more work/life balance. She's found a new love of yoga -- in the Kripalu tradition -- and hasn't been this happy in years.

NG is the elder stateswoman of our group but perhaps the youngest at heart. She is a frequent commentator on Canadian foreign policy and one of the most loyal people I have ever met.

How grateful I am to have such amazing women in my life. Happy Friday everyone.

No comments: