Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Working from Home

I have some long copy to write today, so I'm working from home. This is a decided pleasure.

Fewer phone calls. No unexpected meetings. And no steady buzz of conversation.

While these things can be comforting, and one of the joys of the workplace, the solitary writerly life is what I've always enjoyed best about the job.

Crafting each sentence and making the piece work as a strong and cohesive whole is part of the distinct pleasures of the job for me. Add to that a steaming hot cup of tea, the love of a good cat, and whir of the washing machine -- another of the pleasures of working from home -- and you pretty much have bliss in a basket.

It's nice to rediscover this joy mid-week.

There's been a lot of chaos at work of late. Chronic staff shorgages. New clients. Big work loads. General hysteria.

We tend to forget the "why" we we're doing the job and concentrate on the "how". A big mistake when you're working in a creative environment.

My boss, for all her many, many fine qualities, can sometimes concentrate on the weeds when there are perfectly beautiful lilies right in front of her.

Today is for lilies.

2 comments:

Hez said...

Beautifully written! Just like your long copy will be, I'm sure. Enjoy your day! (If I were you, I'd work a mid-afternoon nap into my schedule...) :)

Anonymous said...

I hate to be the downer on this sunshiney post, but it's not mid-week quite yet...