Wednesday, April 2, 2008

I love to fly, and it shows


“Why is it,” Jonathan puzzled, “that the hardest thing in the world is to convince a bird that he is free, and that he can prove it for himself if he’d just spend a little time practicing? Why should that be so hard?”
~Jonathan Livingston Seagull


I'm never happier than when I'm planning a trip. I've got two on the go at the moment.

The big one isn't coming until October. It's a trip to Thailand, booked entirely on Aeroplan Points.

I've been saving my points for the past two years for exactly such an adventure.

The last big redemption involved a first class seat to India. I almost used them for a trip to Australia in February, but cancelled it when I bought my new place.

Now I'm taking my BFF on the long-promised 40th birthday trip. Good thing. He'll turn 43 this summer.

While we were discussing the trip, I got in a bit of a whirl about where we'd visit.

Since we were in Southeast Asia, I reasoned, perhaps we should visit Angkor Wat and Vietnam, as well. This makes about as much sense as the "well if I'm already in North America, I might as well visit San Francisco, Boston and Dubuque" approach favoured by some tour groups.

Happily we put the brakes on and decided that Thailand alone was worth a visit.

Two weeks will allow us the joy of meandering...changing our plans on a whim, and taking the path less travelled. We have friends in Bangkok, too, so we'll have some time to connect with them.

Our compromise -- two days in Hong Kong, on the way there. Enough time to stock up on Hello Kitty electric guitars and spatulas, take a harbour cruise, and get over an hour or two of jet lag.

Second trip is to New York City. A weekend adventure. Girls trip.

Here's to happy trails, and living in the moment.

No comments: