Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Reluctant Party Planner


I've been helping to plan a party for about 40 people to fete some of our departing co-workers, simply because I happened to look up and lock eyes with our GM when she was talking about it.

Well, that and I have a hard time saying "no".

Note to self: say what you mean, mean what you say.

Anyway, since I could pretty much do what I wanted, I looped in with the primary boy to be feted and determined that karaoke should be the order of the night.

I love karaoke. Everyone loves karaoke. Even if they say they don't, they really do. The people who love it best of all, are generally the ones who shouldn't be within about 400 miles of a microphone, but their enthusiasm tends to fuel us all. That, or self-preservation drives us to pry the microphone out of their cold, grandstanding hands.

Back when my ex and I played together on the Drinking Team with the Baseball Problem, the karaoke day was always my favourite. I became famous for 15 minutes for my rendition of Alannis' "One Hand in My Pocket."

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the stress release of singing loudly.

***

Thanks for all the wisdom offered yesterday. Mr. Gen Y Me pouted for most of the day, but the work was completed and well-received by the client. In my next life, I'm planning to do something simpler, like sewer worker.

No comments: