Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I'm OK, You're OK


A couple of people have asked me recently if I'm OK.

Have you ever noticed that, even if you're OK, and someone asks you if you're OK, that you suddenly feel not OK?

It's the "You look tired" phenomenon.

You can be going along and having a perfectly normal day until some well-wisher meets you in the staff kitchen and says, "Hey, pack those bags yourself? You look tired?"

Suddenly the life drains out of your body and you're dragging yourself to the next meeting with the fatigue of a day labourer.

Such is the power of suggestion.

The fact is that I have been peeling away a few layers of the emotional onion these days. It's hard work. And maybe it's showing. But, truth be told, I'm averaging about a 7.5 to 8.5 on the sliding OK scale.

I think that's pretty good considering the mitigating factors of global warming, market insecurity, Dancing with the Stars upsets, and the discovery that there's 247 calories in a grande Starbucks Frappucino.

So, the answer is "yes". I'm OK. Thanks for asking, though.

5 comments:

©km said...

Maybe it's just me, but I've always felt that people asking was better than people ignoring, or pretending nothing was going on.
But again, maybe just me.

Hez said...

Uh oh, I'm one of the offenders you speak of!! :) Glad you're doing just fine.

Blodwynn said...

I find it's the person asking that's MORE not okay.

Anonymous said...

To me, an anonymous Blog poster, you seem extraordinary, better than ever! And you look like a million bucks!

wendywalnut said...

seems like peeling the emotional onion can make you briefly less okay, but then afterwards makes you more okay, n'est-ce pas? :) xow