Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Making fun


As I get older, I find I'm actually starting to enjoy the things I used to make fun of.

I call it the Disco Bowling phenomenon.

You think, "How much fun could a person have in rented shoes," until suddenly you're prancing down a lane under black lights, wagging your finger at a competitor and mouthing, "You're going down in a blaze of glory," to the tune of your favourite rock anthem. Yup, you're the girl who loves disco bowling and you're not too proud to admit it.

I'm also the girl who loves ABBA, Barry Manilow and now, dare I say it, Anne Murray.

I found myself watching Anne and friends on CBC television last night. I knew every word to every one of her songs. It was a special focusing on her Duets album, so the show was lousy with some of the best voices in music, like my girl kd lang, the incredible Emmylou Harris and the ever-soulful, always hysterical Jann Arden.

Life's too short to want to saw my wrists off to the mournful tunes of Tori Amos. When I unwind, I need a little happy. I need a little Anne.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can we please discuss production values at the CBC? When Anne was singing with Jann I swear I thought they were both seated on stools because they were so washed out against the background.

How about we show some respect to Anne (I have two decades of vinyl to attest to my own respect) and produce her special on something other than the tired old Air Farce stage...?