Thursday, March 6, 2008

Autism: The Musical


My Uncle Lou used to say, "If you put your troubles in a bag with someone else's, you'll want to pull out your own."

Last night's Doc Soup feature was "Autism: The Musical." It told the story of an amazing woman who started a Musical camp for autistic kids.

It was one of the best we've seen this year.

Remarkable not only because of the sweet, amazing, uncontrollable, difficult, brilliant, frustrating and sensitive children it portrayed, but even more so because of their caregivers.

In almost every case, the story of the parental adaptation to their lot in life was as interesting as the story of their child's particular type of autism.

I really don't think I could do it. When I was teaching, I had a little boy named Nicholas who I believe, in retrospect, was autistic.

There has been an incredible increase in the number of children -- mostly boys -- diagnosed with autism, in recent years. The film alludes to our toxic environment as one of the contributing factors.

2 comments:

Hez said...

How do I get in on this Doc Soup thing?? The hubster and I LOVE documentaries! I'm always so interested whenever you post messages about them!

Anonymous said...

Autism The Musical will be premiering on HBO March 25th. There are also plans to release a DVD following that. You should check out www.hbo.com and then click on 'documentaries' for more info.