Monday, March 3, 2008

Good Catholic Girls


In case you're wondering, I took my Mother to mass at St. Michael's Cathedral on Saturday night.

Despite the cold and the trouble finding parking nearby, it's usually worth it. The choir is world class, and hearing the Angelus sung in latin is such a rare treat.

The homilist wasn't even annoying. He was a fourth year seminarian from St. Augustine's.

He'd heard the call (the one from God, not the one with an annyoing ring tone on his cell phone) while working as a mechanic. Just a plain guy. You could tell he knew how to work hard.

He was there to talk about the ShareLife collection taking place next week.

ShareLife is a Catholic charity that distributes funds to local and international causes -- things like Covenant House, the Out of the Cold program and (you guessed it) St. Augustine's seminary.

Anyway -- the collection isn't until next week. But my Mom was clearly smitten with the young seminarian.

Before he was even finished talking, my Mom leaned over to me and said in the loudest stage whisper you can imagine, "LET'S GIVE HIM $10!"

Her voice reverberated off the walls.

It was sweet. Embarrassing, but sweet.

1 comment:

Joe said...

You have a very cool blog Franny Glass. My grandmother had the same picture of Mary - I think on a bookmark. It brings back memories.

Keep up the writing. And the balance.

Joe