Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Lard on a burn


My Mother considers illness a personal weakness.

She comes from the mind-over-matter school. This works well for some things (like anxiety, for example) and not so well for others (like acute lymphoblastic leukemia).

When she's not ignoring the illness, she employs a variety of non-traditional healing methodologies that have included putting lard on a burn (I'm really not kidding here) and my personal favourite: the hot drink. This consists of about 4 ounces of Crown Royal, a teaspoon of sugar and boiling hot water. Who knows if it works. You just wake up four hours later.

My Mom (and my grandmother for that matter) also claim to be able to stop bleeding, simply by thinking about the bleeder. (When I saw the French Canadian movie C.R.A.Z.Y., I couldn't believe it. This was my Mother's family!)

If none of these things work, my Mom simply gets mad at the patient.

Some people really miss their Moms when they're sick. Not me. My Mom used to make me go to school!

Anyway, I'm taking a sick/work from home day today. Hi Mom.

1 comment:

©km said...

Does your mom really read your blog?
My parents made those same concoctions.. but with an Indian twist.. there was the same whiskey with sugar, but add in some spices. It was like an alcoholic chai.
Lard on a burn actually kinda works.