Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Finding my muse

Over the years of writing for a living, I've devised a few little tricks to help me along when desire or inspiration wanes.

These can include anything from beginning in the middle, to stream of conscious, to crafting and re-crafting the same sentence over and over again.

Mostly what helps is relaxing, since my best work always and unequivocally comes from a place of peace.

Along the way, I've also picked up a few totems that I can look to (or throw) when the big idea is still a glimmer in my eye.

There's the small pink flamingo I keep on my desk -- a gift from a Kenyan co-worker. He bought it for me on a work trip to Lake Nakuru in 1994 and I've kept it on my desk ever since.

Then there's the Buddhist paraphernalia -- a photo of the Dalai Lama, my Zen Day by Day calendar, an OM Mani Padme Hum banner (written in Tibetan) and a postcard (which many years ago was an ad for IBM) featuring a giant bolder and a group of Tibetan monks staring at it...as if willing it to move. I'm sure it did...immediately after the photo was taken.

Directly above my desk is the shrine that Barb and I erected while she still worked here.

There's the picture of Shiloh Jolie-Pitt -- Shiloh be thy name. Simply by virtue of being the progeny of Brad Pitt and springing from the loins of Angelina Jolie, Shiloh is subject to worship.

Also in the shrine there's another shot that I love. Barb's indicated on the shot that it's her on the left (in the superstar sunglasses) and me (quite rightly) examining my navel on the right.

I love this shot for a lot of reasons, but primarily because it looks like Barb and I have been working together since infancy.

The truth is that Barb and I work together so well because neither of us has ever completely escaped childhood.

My voice mail message at work says, "I can't take your call at the moment. Please leave your name, number, a detailed message and tell me something you've never told anyone else and I'll return your call."

Barb is the ONLY person who always tells me that thing she's never told anyone else. I've found out a lot about Barb this way.

Everyone needs a muse like Barb. So I give to you, a little of what Barb gave to me yesterday.

Don't say I haven't warned you. The Peanut Butter and Jelly Song.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Something I've never told anyone else? I am a sucker for a dare. Let's see, so many secrets, so little time. I once had a sexual dream involving my brother.

Anonymous said...

this is like a virtual confessional booth. I missed one of my best friend's weddings. I showed up as the vows were being said, but didn't want to walk into the small church during the ceremony. Instead, I waited outside and joined the crowd as they were exiting. He still doesn't know.