Thursday, July 3, 2008

Putting the Ho in Hospitality


I had a lot of time over this past week to gratefully experience other people's hospitality.

I'm not just talking ordinary hospitality -- the "here's a fresh towel, now try not to get in the way" kind of hospitality. I'm talking the "our house really is your house, so let's see what else we can do for you" kind of hospitality.

It was pretty amazing.

Barb ignored her clients for a week, while we joyfully cavorted around Maui and Oahu. She drove everywhere, made incredible meals, and even baked bread!

Tony booked a day off work to take us to the beach, patiently barbecued anything that didn't move, and set up the coffee pot and our cups every morning before he left for work. That list bit alone would have made him a candidate for canonization, in my books.

Even 9 year-old Tori uncomplainingly gave up her room and her bathroom for the duration of my visit.

While I like to think that this is the kind of warm welcome I extend to my visitors, I'm afraid I've never quite lived up to the unconditional welcome that I was given in Hawaii. Truth is, I'm not that unselfish.

But gratitude is a powerful motivator. Maybe because of the kindness I was shown, I'll be more likely to extend it in the future.

Maybe those nutty Kielburger kids are right, after all. Think we. Pass it on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mahalo ML.

Please come back soon, we miss you already... and bring more Canadian Flag suckers.

Aloha.

...t
XO