Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Brain Smudge

In an attempt to rid myself of all things Ciccone, I was listening to John Kabbat-Zinn's Wherever you go, there you are audiobook on the way to work this morning.

He has a lovely, soothing and mellifluous voice. In the midst of being lulled into submission he said something that really caught my attention: "Wherever you go, you take your mind with you."

Whoa. For some reason, that really struck a chord with me this morning. Maybe it's because I spent two sleepless hours going over yesterday's copy decks and today's To Do list in my head last night. I've got some fresh evidence to leverage when it comes to knowing what my mind can get up to when left unattended.

I'm someone who really needs to work on being in the moment. Full consciousness doesn't come easily, or without a fight most of the time. And by consciousness, I don't mean judgement -- of myself, the situation, or others. But here's the thing -- full consciousness comes not when I exercise control...but when I give it up. When I let go of the outcome.

Peace to you this fine Hump Day.

1 comment:

Blodwynn said...

I knew we should have bought that "painting for the moment" tablet while in Paia.