Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Lunch of the Day

In any place I've ever worked, I've instituted an unofficial daily contest called "Lunch of the Day". It's not unlike "Employee of the Month" without the wooden plaque and the badly lit photography.

In my experience, people -- okay, me -- really look forward to it. It inspires a little healthy competition among the armchair gourmands of the group.

Yesterday I won "Lunch of the Day" hands down. I even wrote about it in my Gratitude List.

Yesterday's lunch consisted of 2 slices of deliciously dense pumpernickel bread, upon which I layered thinly sliced vegetarian pate, half a perfectly creamy ripe avocado, and tons of fresh field greens. Served it up with plump and juicy Ontario cherries and a fine tub of prune Activia yoghurt.

I could barely concentrate on the lunch table conversation. It was that good.

The memory of that hard-working little avocado, holding that delicious sandwich together, carried me through the afternoon. Happiness consists of these little moments strung together.

2 comments:

Joe said...

There is a lot of truth in the "Happiness" quote. And the good is in the little moments we take for granted!

As for the lunch - "wow!" that's about all I can say - except for, maybe, "daring!"

I need to come to work for you. I would never win "lunch of the day" - but just the idea of a contest - I could watch for free!

wendywalnut said...

yum. i've made a vow to myself that i will never live anywhere that doesn't grow avocadoes. they're just toooo delicious. my fave is avo on toast. that's it. well, with a bit of S+P. mmmmm.