Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Idea Graveyard

Nearly every creative person I know has a story about the idea the client didn't buy.

I used to have one such example in my book.

It was for a Chapters Online campaign meant to run in gay pubs during the week long Pride festivities. The offer was a $5 off all books purchased online. The visual was of a hand perched on top of a mouse. The headline read: 5 bucks for a hand job.

I recorded four radio spots for Stratford yesterday.

Here's one of the ones they didn't pick:

(SFX: Sound of newspaper ruffling)
(Woman’s Voice)
Babe, I think we should see a musical at Stratford this summer?

(Man’s Voice)
Why don’t you just kill me now?

(Woman)
I think you’ll like this one.

(Man)
Like I liked “27 Dresses”? No thanks. I still feel emasculated.

(Woman)
No seriously. Cabaret has sex, politics and intrigue….

(Man – chimes in enthusiastically)
…sounds like Hookergate!...

(Woman)
…unforgettable songs, great dance numbers…and nudity.

(Man)
Sold!

(Narrator)
The 2008 Festival season has begun.

Have you got your tickets?

Call 1-800-567-1600 or visit Stratford Shakespeare Festival dot com.

No comments: