Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The five hour meeting

I'm at home now, preparing myself for a five hour client meeting.

While I love this client, and I know a lot of the people who will be at the meeting -- thereby reducing any stress -- I generally start looking and acting like a crack addict about hour three of these things.

I'd like to think I'm not the only one, but it appears to me that the corporate world thrives on meetings. In fact, having meetings seems to be a job unto itself.

What do you do?

I meet.

What do you meet about?

Planning more meetings.

I may need to pull out the look. You know the one. You probably have one of your own. Chin resting on thumb and forefinger. Head slightly cocked to the right. Eyes fixed on the speaker. The odd smile and nod.

It's the look that says "I'm interested," while the mind is saying "Don't you think you should really spring for a new toilet brush?"

Meet you there.

2 comments:

Blodwynn said...

You know, one of the perks I have since leaving the corporate world is I've lost a bit of my Meeting Ass.

You know what I'm talking about ... flat and all spread out at the edges.

Anonymous said...

Oh sorry, when you said "Meeting Ass", I thought you were referring to my boss.