Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Zen Master

My Zen Day by Day calendar is like my own tiny therapist.

This morning, as I was headed off for work, it chided me with the following:

Work is love made visible. And if you cannot work with love but only with distaste, it is better that you should leave your work and sit at the gate of the temple and take alms of those who work with joy.

This is exactly what I needed to hear this morning.

I've had a hard time working with love these past few weeks.

It's not entirely my fault, of course. There are plenty of conditions conspiring to make working with love as difficult as possible. (Can you say global economic meltdown?) But the truth is that my attitude will determine how I feel about these events.

I can, as Dylan Thomas suggests, "not go gentle into that good night," or I can relax and enjoy the ride.

No comments: