Friday, April 3, 2009

Mortality Play

I met a group of friends last night for what we have come to refer to as LPN -- Ladies Pub Night.

Truth is that it's just a regular reason to get together without spouses or partners and talk. The number of girls who frequent LPN changes from time to time but the one constant is that you need ovaries to participate.

So when one of the husbands texted that he was leaving his work function and thought he'd drop by to say hello, general panic ensued. He didn't show up but our reaction to the threatened infiltration was funny to watch. We circled our wagons.

Last night's talk turned to mortality.

It's a subject that's been on my mind a lot this week, since I've been writing reams and reams of copy for The Canadian Cancer Society. I knew cancer was endemic in our society. I lost my Dad to cancer. Two of the girls out last night had also lost close family members to cancer. But I didn't realize how big it it.

On the basis of current incidence rates, almost 40% of Canadian women and almost 45% of men will develop cancer in their lifetimes.

One out of ever 4 Canadians will die of cancer. There were four of us out last night.

The thing is that we tend to think of cancer as being this singular disease, while the truth is that there are more than 200 different diseases that fall under the cancer umbrella.

Giving to organizations like the Canadian Cancer Society ensures that what is learned about one type of cancer can be applied to others. And it also ensures that adequate funding is diverted to studies that help us reduce cancer risk.

The good news is that at least half of all cancers can be prevented through healthy living like quitting smoking, eating well, wearing sunscreen and being active.

Anyway, that's what girls talk about when they're together. That and hairstyles.

3 comments:

Blodwynn said...

I hope that while you were talking cancer the red wine was flowing. Flavanoids aka antioxidants help prevent cancer.

Long live the red wine!

(and blueberries but so far as I know there's no such thing as blueberry wine)

©km said...

I'm pretty sure I had blueberry wine when I was in Newfoundland...

Seems it is quite available:
http://www.countrymans.ca/blueberrywine.htm

http://www.rossignolwinery.com/list.html

http://www.kensingtonwinemarket.com/products/details/inventory/1136/index.php

http://www.cranberry.ca/mlw/ourWines_fs.html

:)

Blodwynn said...

Oh.

LOL...duh. This google thing is cool! I should remember to use it from time to time.

thx. ©km.