Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Cutting for Stone

I've got a new book for you. Wendy Walnut, this one's especially for you.

The book opens as a devout young nun, Sister Mary Joseph Praise, gives birth to twin boys in a small underfunded hospital in Addis Ababa. That's page one. And that's not the craziest thing that happens.

The book is a sweeping, dramatically told tale that takes place over several decades and 560 pages. But it's definitely worth the ride.

I found myself thinking while reading that the book reminded me of early John Irving -- back in his World According to Garp and Hotel New Hampshire Days. It has that same quirky sensibility. So imagine my glee when the author, Abraham Verghese, thanked Irving for his guidance and wise counsel in the novel's afterword.

You'll never be bored. At several junctures throughout, I actually uttered an "OH MY GOD," aloud while reading. And I promise you this....you won't be able to make it to the end without going for Ethiopian food.

1 comment:

wendywalnut said...

woo hoo! i just reserved it at the library (i'm number two in the queue), so will definitely read it. 'a prayer for owen meany' was my fave book for a long time, so this is right up my alley!
unfortunately no ethiopian food to be found in wellington -
and i just did a good search, not even one in ALL OF NZ (major yikes)!!