Thursday, April 23, 2009

I Learned Everything I Know From America's Next Top Model


Okay, I'll admit it. I'm a bit of an America's Next Top Model junky.

In fact, I credit the series with teaching me how to pose in photographs See, you barely even notice the elephant in this photo. The protruding hip bone and the awkward stance....all ANTM. Behind the shades, I'm really smiling with my eyes.

So you can imagine my delight when last night the models took their show to Brazil and I learned that The Girl from Ipanema was actually a real person.

Who knew?

Legend has it the song was inspired by Helo Pinheiro (real name: Heloisa Enelda Menezes Paes Pinto) who, barely out of her teens, was a bit of a Lolita. She would stroll the fashionable Rio streets, attracting the attention of bar patrons.

Tall and tan and young and lovely
The girl from Ipanema goes walking
And when she passes, each one she passes goes - ah

Today the real girl from Ipanema is a little older, presumably a little wiser and apparently spends all her free time getting highlights. She's a bit of a celebrity in the country. They've even renamed a bar in her honour.

1 comment:

wendywalnut said...

yep, i am addicted to ANTM too. it's miss j, i can't get enough of his smart-arsery.
there's an NZ version showing now, and it is categorically painful to watch. not that the pain stops me from partaking, of course.