Monday, January 26, 2009

Travel

Those who know me, know that I believe there are only two compelling reasons to work full time: to buy books in hardcover as soon as they're released, and to travel.

So, it shouldn't come as a surprise that I'm planning another trip. This one's to Zambia.

Okay, it's not on everyone's top 10 (or maybe 100) list, but I'm pretty psyched about it.

Great friends from my international development days are posted to Lusaka so, once the flight is covered, lodging won't be much of a problem.

(Everyone should work in international development for at least part of their life so they'll forever have someone to stay with in the world's out of the way places. How better to see beautiful downtown Ougadougou.)

Years ago, while I was helping orchestrate a Southern Africa Regional Strategy Conference in Harare, several of my colleagues jetted off to Livingstone to see Victoria Falls. It's one of the great wonders of the world.

At the time, I didn't have the $200 to go along with them. I've always, always regretted it. In fact, it's become the story I hold up to say -- when you get the chance, you just need to grab it and go. Two hundred bucks, twenty years later, seems like a paltry reason not to have done something so inspirational and life-changing.

So I'm grabbing it and going.

4 comments:

©km said...

And you're going at the "high water" flow season. I went during "low flow" season. Still damn impressive - but I can't imagine how powerful and heart-pounding the falls would be when at "full force". Spare another $80 and take the helicopter flight over, as well.

Blodwynn said...

I'm coming with you.

I'm not kidding.

Anonymous said...

Inspiration! This makes me want to grab a few opportunities right now.

wendywalnut said...

fabulous!!! i agree with (c)km about taking the helicopter ride. i had a meeting in chobe park a few years ago, and some friends and i took a small cessna over the falls - incredible!!!
i wish i were barb and could go! :)