Monday, November 24, 2008

Metta

Boy oh boy did I find the perfect weekend antidote for time spent with mostly tortured advertising types: a Buddhist retreat with Sharon Salzberg.

I spent a good part of the weekend deep in the practice of metta meditation.

Metta is from the Pali world for "loving-kindness". There's a real structure to the way the meditation happens but it involves love without attachment. Love without dictating the outcome.

In my experience, it can be a transformative practice. Interestingly, one of the long term impacts of metta meditation is that it's thought to be an antidote to anger and fear.

I've been lucky enough to have had several instructions in metta meditation over the years -- including another by Sharon, herself -- and it never fails to make me feel better.

It seemed to work the same kind of magic on the group, too, who you might of guessed were the usual rag-tag group of Birk-wearing hippies and Bu-jews, the affectionate name for the Jewish Buddhists.

One person reported that after weeks of insomnia, she slept peacefully through the night on Saturday.

There's something about letting go that can do that.

3 comments:

Hez said...

Sounds very lovely!

wv = usait. I'll use it in a sentence to clarify.

"When you say it, usait so well."

wendywalnut said...

sounds great. these are the kinds of things that i miss here in NZ. it's what happens when the population of the country is about the same as the population of the greater toronto area. sigh.
wv: undherbl.
sentence: "i have been taking homeopathic medicine, but forgot yesterday, so am now feeling very undherbl."
(loving your friends/blog readers for being so funny and creative)

©km said...

What a great way to de-stress from Chicago.

vw = astma

"I can't breath so well. The doctor says I have astma, but I think I'm just allergic to my cats"