Monday, November 17, 2008

Job Opening: Catholic Church Spin Doctor


I took my Mother to mass at the Cathedral this weekend and found the following advertisement in the Church Bulletin.
November 25th. The Cathedral's young adult group (26-39 years) invites you to participate in faith formation, community service and socials. Guest Speaker for the next meeting is the rector of the parish, Father Mike. Topic: Suffering: Drinking the Cup of Christ.

I had to laugh.

I don't know Father Mike. He's probably a great guy. Well-intentioned. But OH MY GOD, does he really expect anyone to show up for this?

And the kids that do....bet they're right this minute ordering Proactiv off an informercial. Not to mention -- when was the last time anyone referred to the 26-39 year old demographic as young adults?

I think Father Mike could use my help, so I'm going to propose some titling alternatives. Take them or leave them, I think they'll be a bit more appealing to his target.

Jesus says, "Come in. Drinks are on me."

When life gives you a Vente cup of suffering, Christ'll make it a Tall

Suffering 911: Let Jesus be your 24/7 Emergency Operator

You think you've got it bad. Have you seen the guy on the cross?

The actors from that Twilight Movie are here and they want to talk to you about suffering.

4 comments:

©km said...

the only church that I think actually invests any money in marketing is the United, especially at http://wondercafe.ca

but after seeing this - can you understand why I thought Jesus, God and Santa were the same dude?

http://www.ctv.ca/mar/photo.html?pname=http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20061107/450_church_ad1_061107.jpg&win_width=695.0&description=This%20ad%20provokes%20discussion%20on%20whether%20Christmas%20should%20be%20about%20Jesus,%20Santa%20Claus,%20or%20can%20it%20be%20about%20both?%20(wondercafe.ca)

word=renchett

Blodwynn said...

hahahahahhahahah...

If this is ANY indication of your game this week, I think the guys in Chicago don't have a chance.

Have fun with the 'other AD' in your fusion this week.

Anonymous said...

One of my favourites has always been "Have a drink for Jesus, He got hammered for you."

Feel free to suggest it, with my compliments.

Joe said...

It would be nice if some people just "poll" others to get input from them.

I heard this one, since we are all "sharing;"

This is said to others who are feeling sorry for themselves or selfrighteous;
"get off the cross - we need the wood."

Well, it's funnier when you hear it in person.