Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving, American Friends

In honour ...or rather I should say "honor"... of Thanksgiving, I thought I'd share some of the things I'm grateful for today.

I'm grateful that I'm in good health. I'm reading Philip Roth's novel, Everyman, in which his protagonist (an aging advertising type) grows older and more infirm. Roth explores illness with chilling precision. It's made me exceedingly grateful that I can wake up in the morning, leap out of bed, enjoy a full breakfast and take a vigorous walk to work. These simple pleasures are denied to so many folks.

I'm grateful that I have a job I love to do. While it lasts, I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.

I'm grateful that I'm enjoying my forties even more than my thirties. I like myself better now then I ever did....which is great, since I can't seem to escape me no matter where I go.

I'm grateful that I'm not a turkey.

I'm grateful that I work in an environment where we laugh loudly and heartily at least once a day. Usually way more than that. And usually not always at me, which is great.

I'm grateful that our neighbours to the south chose a leader who ran on a platform of positivism. Despite all the negative press about the economy, don't you just feel better knowing Obama is heading to the White House?

What are you grateful for today?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am thankful for bloggers who make me think and shine some light on the world. Thanks Franny!

©km said...

I'm grateful that I met you during the point in your life where you like yourself the best.

ovatio = a standing ovation for horatio after "I beseech you" in Act 5, Scene 2.

Blodwynn said...

I'm grateful I had a chance to be your creative partner not once, but twice!
I'm grateful you came for a visit.

bissed = {spoken in voice with bad head cold} "I really bissed you today"

Anonymous said...

I'm grateful that there are technologies that keep long-lost cousins not so long or lost.

vw: oompernu
verb. german, for "that note you forget when you stop paying attention to the music you're playing"
Use: "I vas playing zee trumpet zee other day, and I oompernu-ed ven I lost my concentration."