Thursday, September 18, 2008

St. Patrick

Have you ever met someone with whom you had an immediate spiritual connection? An unexplainable understanding? Someone with whom you just fit.

I am fortunate to have a few of these people in my life.

One is a guy I've known for nearly 18 years. I see him on average about once every couple of years. He often turns up during periods of change in my or his life.

Sometimes we see each other weekly during that period.

We get together and have completely intense, open, honest, frank and funny conversations. Then we go off to live our lives until next we meet.

He's someone I could call at 3 a.m. and I know he'd come running. He's got my heart's back.

The last time I saw him was at the airport. I was coming back from the east coast. My father was dying. He was heading to the east coast. His father-in-law was dying.

These parallels in our lives no longer surprise me. I just know, whenever I see him, that there's a reason. Something's up...and we need to talk about it together.

He contacted me again a couple of weeks ago and we had breakfast this morning.

We always go to the same place, and pretty much always order the same thing. He has the big, greasy eggs and sausage special and I have a warm-from-the-oven bran muffin.

We usually barely touch our food, because we can't stop talking.

Today was no different.

Anyway, here's to the agents of grace who exist for all of us...and to one of mine. Thanks for breakfast.

No comments: