Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Electicle Dysfunction

In case you haven't noticed, we're having an election on this side of the border, too.

At the risk of setting off a firestorm that can be abated only by a return to less contentious topics -- like, say, Boot Camp -- I thought I'd discuss the relative merits of each of the Party leaders.

I'm sorry. I really can't decide. Choosing a candidate in this year's election is a little like picking over the vegetables in the priced-for-quick-sale section of the grocery store.

Stephen Harper for the Conservatives
Is it just me, or do you sometimes forget the name of our Prime Minister? But here's the thing, I kind of equate Harper's lack of personality with our strong economy. Maybe he's not razzling and dazzling us because he's busy balancing the books behind closed doors. Still, can I really re-elect someone who gets his hair cut at Top Cuts?

Stephane Dion for the Liberals
Dion is the leader of the Liberal Party by default. I watched the Liberal Leadership Convention in its entirety -- refer to previous post about geekiness -- and watching him rise to the top after Bob Rae ad-libbed and flubbed his speech, and everyone decided that Michael Ignatieff was too old boy and elitist to carry the crown. I'd vote for Stephane Dion to help me with my homework, but I'm not sure he'd make a good Prime Minister.

Jack Layton for the NDP
Back in the day, my BFF and I played a lot of SIM City. His cities thrived and his people revered him. But my cities, upon which I'd bestowed countless social programs and environmentally responsible practices, went broke in short order, while the population revolted. Don't get me wrong. I love the NDP. They're my heart's party. But I think the NDP are better acting as the country's conscience then its brain.

Doug Henning for the Natural Law Party
Doug Henning, may he rest in peace, was by and large my favourite political leader of all time. Henning ran in the 1983 federal election for the now-defunct Natural Law party. A magician by trade, and a life-long TM-er, Henning proposed yogic flying as a solution to many of our country's problems. Where's Doug Henning when you need him?

Who's rocking your vote?

3 comments:

©km said...

Dion is being re-branded.
http://thisisdion.ca/

But I don't buy it.

Blodwynn said...

Doug Henning is dead?
Did he take his mustache with him?

so sad.

Tori asked me who our 'president' in Canada was last week and I couldn't remember! I answered with
"did you know Winnie The Pooh is Canadian?".

Anonymous said...

Although I dry heave as I write this, Stephen Harper is my vote. He is the best of the worst.