Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Songs for a Desert Island

Periodically while on long car trips or biding time in airport departure lounges, I'll turn to my traveling companion (who is hopefully someone I know) and ask him or her what songs they would take to a Desert Island if they only had a few choices.

I like to limit the choices to five, but I'll push it to six if the other person appears to be experiencing undue duress in narrowing down the songs.

We generally don't discus the reason for banishment to a Desert Island, although this topic in itself would be an interesting enough way to pass the time.

I've played this game with a lot of people over the years, and heard some really interesting choice.

One of my choices is always Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights, based on the novel of the same name. She wrote it and recorded it at only 19 years old. When this rose to #1, Kate Bush became the first female in the UK to top the charts with a self-composed song.

Every time I listen to this song, I hear something different. Some nuance that I missed the first time. Truth is I'd rather listen to it than watch it. Kate Bush is marvelously enigmatic, but is a bit witchy poo to watch for very long.

If you don't believe me, check out the awkward Don't Give Up video with Peter Gabriel.

Wondering what your songs would be?

7 comments:

Blodwynn said...

For me, I'd probably spend the time on the island trying to figure out if twinkle twinkle little star and the ABC song really are the same.

©km said...

Speaking of music, I'm sure your gentle readers will get a kick out of this

Ryan McNeil said...

I guess SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE started too quickly and we never got to this particular island five. Looking at them all together, my list is very "white-boy-rock" centric, but I can't apologize for it...

(In chronological order)
"Good Vibrations" by The Beach Boys
"Gimme Shelter" by The Stones
"Baba O' Reily" by The Who
"With or Without You" by U2
"Clocks" by Coldplay

Anonymous said...

WHAT? Clay Aiken is GAY????

©km said...

"This is a gut wrenching day for The ClayNation. Somebody wake me up, I hope its a dream." - a ClayMate.

wendywalnut said...

-Amadou et Mariam: "Politic Amagni"
-Deep Dish: "Say Hello"
-Cowboy Junkies: "Mining for Gold" or "River Waltz", not quite sure
-South African national anthem, sung by a stadium full of people
-Mercedes Sosa: "Cancion Y Huayno"

You've heard of BBC Radio 4's Desert Island Discs, right? Same idea. :)

FrannyGlass said...

The damn Beeb always steals my ideas. ;)