Monday, September 15, 2008

Easy Prey







The film festival is over for another year.

When it comes to the act of film-going, savvy marketers seemed to have taken a lesson from the homeless and cottoned on to the fact that they have a captive audience in line.

You can't go anywhere...so you're easy prey.

At various times while standing in line I received: Lindt chocolates, a can of sugary fruit juice, an invitation to trial a new Bell cell phone, and a DVD of the first episode of HBO's new series, True Blood.

My BFF and I watched the show on Saturday night. It's pretty good.

It's from Alan Ball, creator of Six Feet Under. The premise involves the introduction of a new synthetic type of blood -- marketed as True Blood -- that allows vampires to come out of the coffin and live among us.

In the first episode, Anna Paquin -- who is a human waitress in a roadside truck stop and cursed with the ability to read minds -- falls for a 173-year-old hottie vampire named Bill.

Every woman in my office (myself included, I hasten to add) has read at least one of those foul Twilight books. They've blown the lid off the vampire romance genre.

But what's with society's current preoccupation with the undead?

Is it just me, or do there seem to be more vampires living among us than ever before?

4 comments:

Hez said...

I haven't read any of those Twilight books - I can't say I have a fascination with the undead. However... I'm not opposed to a little vampire romance now and again. Are the books worth a read?

Anonymous said...

True Blood resembles Heroes at first glance (just rented the first episode from Blockbuster), though it still feels mostly original... for some reason this show makes me want to eat Cajun food and drink cheap beer

Blodwynn said...

I am in Hez's camp (not boot the virgin Twilight camp).

In my eyes, the vampire thing has not been done as well since the original Nosferatu Film in 1922. Scared the pants off me hence my my own vampire-ish experiences in my teenage years.

You can watch the movie in full on google video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6185283610506001721

Ryan McNeil said...

As I sit and type my fiancee is to my right reading the fourth "Twilight" book. What amuses me to no end, is the fact that she picked up book one on Labour Day Weekend.

(That's three 400+ page books in fifteen days, just sayin').

Given the long list of shows I rhymed off to you that I'm already watching, I resisted the urge to throw that screener into my player...

...then again if the topic were that new show "Fringe"...