Friday, February 27, 2009

Low Cost Beauty Secrets


While I occasionally get sucked in by high-priced beauty products (ie. because of their white lab coats, the women at Clinique are really nurses and they're here to help me) I am, by nature, a low-maintenance girl. I'd like to share a few of my low-cost beauty tips with you.

The ultimate tooth whitener -- Baking Soda. There's a reason why they keep adding it to toothpaste. Yup, for less than 99 cents, you can buy yourself a box of baking and dazzle the world with your sparkling smile. Shake a little baking soda into the bottom of a cup. Put some toothpaste on your toothbrush, dip it into the baking soda, and you'll have a glow in the dark smile for just pennies a day. Baking soda is great for night guards, too.

Dishwashing liquid makes a great bubble bath. Call me crazy but, in a pinch, I've sunk into a tub full of bubbles produced by my lavender aromatherapy dishwashing liquid. Plus, it cleans your tub while you soak.

Can't afford highlights? Try lemons. I'm a natural blonde, so if I want to perk up my colour in winter, squeezing the juice of a lemon on my hair before rinsing is a sure-fire way to get highlights without the high prices.

Take advantage of samples.
Can't afford a big bottle of your favourite perfume? Most fragrance departments have samples they'll give you, for free. Same goes for small sizes of face and eye cream, and make-up remover. If you need to purchase something larger, it goes without saying that you should do it at Bonus Time. Frankly, I don't think I've ever owned a makeup bag that didn't come with a free bonus.

Anything you'd like to add?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Parchment Paper: This material is so versatile, it is ridiculous. You can use it for baking, reuse it for sauteeing, use it in the microwave, in the oven, stovetop, for storage, etc. Just wash it and use it again!

©km said...

Lip balm makes a great cuticle cream.

Vitamin E Oil works really well to soften lips for a really long time.

For a cheap body exfoliator - mix sea salt, olive oil and some lemon juice together. You can get all that at the dollar store.

Blodwynn said...

Moisturizer!

great for makeup removal.

great for taming fly away hair

great for releasing items that are stuck

great for keeping your eyebrows tidy

Tomorrow: Vaseline is your new best friend