Friday, February 6, 2009

Food for Thought

I drove in to work this morning because I have an early morning presentation and I'm retrieving my dear friend from Ottawa from the Island Airport after work this evening.

On the way in, the DJs were asking each other and the listeners what food, if any, they'd have difficulty giving up...FOREVER.

Is there anything you love so much that you can't conceive of life without it?

Cheese seemed to be a popular item. As delightfully artery clogging as our fatty little friend can be, most people can't imagine anything more joyless than a life with more mac and no cheese.

One fellow cited salty meat -- back bacon, smoked meat, jerky -- while another said he couldn't live without pears. In fact, he has a pear of some variety every day. For some reason, I found this incredibly sweet and endearing.

For me there would be a few things that would be hard to give up.

Lactose intolerance would be a terrible curse for me, since you could wake me up in the middle of the night, hand me a bowl of frozen yoghurt, and I would eat it with gusto.

Fresh cherries are another food I'd have trouble giving up. During cherry season, I eat them every day. I sometimes even buy them in winter, despite the fact that they rival Gold on a cost per ounce basis.

How about you?

1 comment:

wendywalnut said...

toast. no questions.