Sunday, October 12, 2008

Hello from Paradise

I've been in some beautiful spots over the years, but I don't think I've ever been anywhere more beautiful than where I am right now.

We arrived last night, so I woke up this morning to the bluest sky I've ever seen and a view of a series of small, offshore islands dotting the horizon. All from our tiny veranda.

Our hotel is spectacular.

It's the last place on a mostly deserted stretch of white sandy beach on Tub Kaek Beach, about 40 minutes from Krabi.

Because it's technically the rainy season and a few governments have issued travel warnings about Thailand, the resort is operating at less than half of capacity.

The normally attentive Thai staff are even more attentive, if that's possible. All I need to do is raise my eyes from my book for half a second, and someone descends on me with an icy jasmine-scented towel, a jug of ice water or a fresh fruit plate.

Life is good.