Friday, October 10, 2008

Best day ever!

Yesterday is one of those days that I hope will flash in front of my eyes when I die. I would certainly welcome the chance to re-live it again and again.

Here's what I did yesterday:

Drove into the mountainous region surrounding Chiang Mai. Incredibly beautiful.

Met the 34 rescued elephants that live at the sanctuary and heard their stories. They are heartbreaking -- injured by landmines, blinded, abused.

Each elephant has been brought back from the brink of death by the care and love of an amazing spitfire of a woman who they call "Lek". It means "small" in Thai.

Today the elephants are thriving...and Lek is an international advocate for animal rights.

I got to feed the elephants, walk beside them as they went down to the river, and get into the river beside them and scrub their backs as they rolled around.

Read this last sentence over again. What more can I say?


Oh ya...and I played with a baby elephant. If I wasn't me...I'd want to be me.

Today...off to the beaches.

1 comment:

Joe said...

"If I wasn't me - I'd want to be me" - That says it all. That is beauty. That is everything. Sums up my serenity when I am in it.

What a trip