Monday, August 11, 2008

The truth is not out there

I've long said that there are two types of people: people who like Star Trek and the people who live with them.

I used to feel the same about The X Files, until my BFF lobbied long and hard for its relative merits and I, too, came to care deeply for the search for extraterrestrial life and happiness in perpetuity for Muldar and Scully.

So it was with hope, and a fair bit of nostalgia, that BFF and I ignored the critics and headed off to a matinee showing of the new X Files movie.

How sadly disappointing it was. Countless episodes of the TV show were much, much better.

The most positive thing my BFF could find to say about it was that it possessed "the creep factor".

But it felt a little like looking at your old Yearbook. A little out-of-date.

We should have seen Brideshead Revisited.

2 comments:

Joe said...

I too, want to believe. On TV here, was a rerun of their first movie.

I really liked that TV show.

Speaking of TV shows that almost parallel this old show is the spooky paranormal shows. Don't know if you get them in Canada. But I really like these - or liked them - that is, until recently.

I got really spooked a couple of times and said, "no more of that stuff." Waking up at 3AM and thinking about ghosts and the devil did not help my Kharma!

Thanks for the review of the movie. Hope you are well.

Joe

©km said...

I saw it the day before. I also wanted to believe. I should have seen Wall-E instead.