Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Shameless shallow product endorsement


Is it just me, or is waterproof mascara almost impossible to remove?

I've been wearing Maybelline's Great Lash Waterproof Mascara for a little while now. While it looked reasonably good going on, talking it off was another matter.

After trying everything from Varsol to leftover crude oil from the Exxon Valdez to remove the remains of the day, I happened upon another product to highlight my baby blues.

It's called Estee Lauder Sumptuous Bold Volume Lifting Mascara. Combined with Shu Uemura's eyelash curler, I have all the tools I need to fight crime, and look good while doing it.

The best part of Sumptuous is, not only can I get it off at night without ripping out all my eyelashes, its "ultra-light lash thickening powers" (yes, lifted directly from their marketing materials) manage to stay on my lashes, rather than making its way down my cheek until I resemble a velvet painting of a crying clown.

The best part of this mascara is how I discovered it in the first place. The ubiquitous "gift with purchase".

While shopping for perfume for my Mom, the nice lady at Shoppers Drug Mart made it on to my Gratitude List when she whispered that the same bottle of White Linen at The Bay came with $75 worth of free products, a hideous black plastic shoulder bag, and a brand new make-up case.

Marketing works, folks.

1 comment:

Blodwynn said...

I've flown to Maui three times on freebees.
While I probably paid my dues hidden in inflated costs on those little Jack Daniels bottles, it sure felt like I had won something.