Monday, August 25, 2008

H2Ommmmm

Should you ever find yourself in Ottawa with a couple of hours to kill, might I recommend a trip to Le Nordik Nature Spa in Old Chelsea, Quebec -- about fifteen minutes from Parliament Hill.

All I can say is God Bless the good people of Finland, who came up with the idea of restorative baths about the same time our people were getting bitten to death by mosquitoes and trying not to have all their teeth fall out from scurvy.

The concept behind the spa is simple.

You start in the pore-opening dry sauna or eucalyptus infused steam bath (so steamy that it's worthy of an appearance on The Sopranos), where all the bad toxins cry "Uncle" and make their way to the surface of your skin. Then you alternate between a series of baths, from steaming to frigid.

The baths will help tighten your pores and restore your natural vigour. Maybe I'm just a victim of marketing -- which we all know is true -- but I think I have a healthier glow than usual today.

They encourage you to stay for hours. Signs posted throughout the property remind guests to whisper which, if you have any French Canadian blood in you, is immediately understandable. Quiet storytelling is not generally a natural trait of my people.

Bring a book. There are hammocks strung between trees, a meditation room complete with noise cancelling headphones with a choice of new age music to help you melt the stress away, and the sweet smell of burning cedar in outdoor fireplaces. Heaven on earth.

My friend and I enjoyed a delicious lunch featuring locally grown produce at the on-site restaurant.

If I'm gushing, it's because this lovely experience has stayed with me...even through a trip through the airport and a flight home on God's other gift -- Porter Airlines.

At just $42, for as long as you'd like to stay, Le Nordik is the best deal I've seen in a long time.

3 comments:

Hez said...

OMG - I went there a few years ago with my friend (the one that I always visit in Ottawa) and it was amazing! I loved it. So glad you got a chance to experience it!

Blodwynn said...

$42! That's the cost of a whole chicken in Japan!

I love a good deal.
I'm so going there.

©km said...

I love that the people who read this blog know the cost of a whole chicken in Japan. Completely unrelated to the blog post - I'd like to note that you can buy a whole chicken, in a can, in Churchill Manitoba for about $7. Someone should export them to Japan, forget the Polar Bears.

On a related note, I've sent your blog post to at least three people who I know would love that place at least as much as you did.