Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Jesus take the wheel

I believe that anyone can conquer fear by doing the things he fears to do, provided he keeps doing them until he gets a record of successful experience behind him.
~Eleanor Roosevelt

Highway driving scares me a little. But I'm tired of being afraid. So I drove to Buffalo all on my own yesterday. The siren song of Target is sweeter than all other songs.

Guess what happpened?

The drive there was great. Good weather. Good roads. Sailed through customs and immigration. A 10 out of 10 on the fear conquering scale.

On the return journey, the area around Hamilton was hit by a severe storm. Torrential rain. Hail. Wind so hard I thought it might have been a tornado. Half the drivers were pulled over on to the shoulder, while the other half were driving with their hazzards on.

But you know what? I got through it.

I actually said out loud, "You know, Universe. This is freaking me out a little. I could really use a little help here."

And help came. I was calm. Focussed. Refreshingly free from anxiety.

The storm subsided. It still rained most of the way home, but at least I could see for most of it.

And when I pulled into my driveway last night, I had a huge feeling of accomplishment.

I did it.

Well, actually, me and the Universe did it. But I paid for the gas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're welcome...again.

©km said...

What about Ladybug? She was right there with you. And I bet that Dunkin' coffee sure helped you stay alert.