Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Selling Canada

I love writing for the Canadian Tourism Commission, largely because I can unequivocally stand behind the product: our country.

David Ogilvy always said you need to use your client's products. This one is a no-brainer.

The job I'm working on now is for the highly lucrative market of Meeting, Conventions, and Incentive Travel professionals in the U.S.

There are only about 8,000 planners out there, but together they represent millions of dollars infused into local economies when they bring their meetings and conventions to cities across Canada.

Doubtful? Remembers the hit Toronto took with SARS. New passport guidelines and parity are also softening the market, so we need to do a really good sales job to make the Canadian case. People's livelihood depends on it.

Success will be measured by American bums in Canadian seats.

That's where loving the job and the country really helps.

I also love the research (who knew how much there was to do in Winnipeg on a Saturday night?) and I love the tone (fun, and slightly irreverent -- my specialty). I also love our client at CTC. He's allowed us to do some really killer, breakthrough creative. Think Bobble-Heads!

Anyway, to all gentle Canadian readers of this post, I'm hoping you'll send me an "insider" tip about something new, cool and funky to do in your neighbourhood. I'm looking for things that fall outside the usual tourist experience.

Example: Sweet potato and date muffins at Kensington Market's vegan restaurant, Urban Herbivore. Or the regular Saturday night show of the Cameron Family Singers.

All tips gratefully accepted. And, although you might not get credit for being a roving reporter, you will be nominated for my personal Order of Canada award.

Thanks. I stand on guard for thee.

2 comments:

Hez said...

I absolutely LOVED writing for the CTC. Your writing style is beyond perfect for the CTC... I can almost imagine how perfectly word-crafted your piece will be! You're going to make everyone want to come to Canada.

©km said...

besides the Camerons.. the Backstabbers do a regular Sunday afternoon show at the Gladstone.. Prodigal Sundays. All gathered around one microphone. The beer is cheap as well. Or so I'm told. JT loved the old(er) women out for the afternoon.. sipping their beer out of little glass tumblers. The food is also awesome... as you know.