Saturday, February 23, 2008

Qi-a Pet

I saw a Chinese medicine doctor/acupuncturist yesterday.

According to Doctor Qi (pronounced "chi" for all you non-mandarin speakers out there) my particular condition (which is hot + dry, if you must know)is best treated by making a number of physical/dietary changes.

I have a list.

Some of them are easy (ie. avoid fried foods) while others are decidedly more difficult -- ie. avoid cold, raw foods and processed, puffed, dry foods...hence the demise of my beloved raw baby carrots, nightly bowl of popcorn and rice cakes.

My diet is already pretty healthy, so I'm going to start by making small changes.

For starters, I bought some soy milk. Dairy is on the list of things to avoid. I LOVE dairy. But maybe I can learn to love soy milk in my pure, unflavoured organic coffee. I had some this morning and it wasn't too bad.

I'm also going to make a concerted effort to experiment with more grains and legumes in my diet. I even had some quinoa for dinner last night. It was delicious.

I'm off know to purchase a few Chinese herbs she recommended to balance my kidney yin, which you all know needs some balancing.

You can be sure that I'll let you know how it's going. Next appointment is March 15th.

No comments: