Friday, February 15, 2008

Last train at the Over Stimulation Station

As if moving day wasn't enough, yesterday we found out we actually won the business that we pitched a couple of weeks ago.

The business is Aeroplan.

Despite launching the CIBC Aventura Gold VISA card several years ago -- in what I have come to refer to as "the summer of no fun" -- I was never persuaded to give up my coveted CIBC Aerogold VISA card. I'm what they call in the industry, "a points hog." I switch orange juice brands for Aeroplan miles. I used my miles to fly first class to Delhi, and I'll use them this fall to take my BFF to SE Asia, for his long-delayed 40th birthday present.

My Dad worked for Air Canada for 37 years. I grew up in this brand.

Anyway, the funny thing about this business is that, also in the running, were other agencies where I know some extremely talented people -- all quite deserving of the win. I know what goes into these pitches, and I know that not winning sucks.

You never know why you're selected. I tend to believe that these decisions are made on the golf course or in the back rooms, before the clients actually enter the building. Or maybe our tray of breakfast foods just tasted better.

Life is serious. Advertising, not so much. Next time it'll be you.

Over the next week, I'd appreciate some positive vibes as I combat another of life's stressers -- the move. Universe....you know what you need to do.

Happy Dalton Day, everybody. Have some fun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks.

©km said...

I never understood the Adventura brand.. and why I should even consider switching from Aerogold to it. Because no sane person would have BOTH cards. That's just silly.

Anonymous said...

I'm on it!