Thursday, March 12, 2009

Bad Boyfriends

Fame whore alert.

Don't date someone really, really famous, and then complain that no one is interested in who you are as a person. Especially since who you are as a person is someone who follows around really, really famous people!

Paul H-O, ex public access TV host who made a career of making fun of other people's art and ex-boyfriend of Cindy Sherman, presented Guest of Cindy Sherman at Doc Soup last night.

The doc, though a little too long, was pretty interesting -- unprecedented access into Sherman's process, work and life -- but it was also a self-indulgent romp into what makes Paul tick. And what makes him tick, also makes him talk. A lot. In the Q and A after the movie, I thought I was literally going to squirm out of my skin listening to his painfully neurotic monologue.

I started to wonder, about 15 minutes in, what would make someone like Sherman -- a clearly beautiful, articulate and talented woman -- stay with a self-absorbed jerk like Paul?

3 comments:

Ryan McNeil said...

This is totally off topic, but given that i don't have your email address, I figured I'd send it to you thusly.

Our favorite TV thespian has done it again...

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/f26c4046b0/lex-luthor-bailout-with-jon-hamm

Hez said...

Glad I didn't stay for the questions!

We usually leave because I absolutely hate the cringe-worthy questions from the audience that inevitably happen at some point during Q&A.

Seems like the cringe-worthiness was reversed this time!

©km said...

Two highlights from the the Q&A, for me.
At the end when he had been thanked, applause was done - and he returned to the microphone to continue to talk - long after they stopped paying attention to him. I think you missed this because you had already squirmed out of your seat.

Then the older lady behind us calling him a self-absorbed ***&# prick.