Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Thanks for the memories

It's becoming increasingly clear that my Mother is suffering from dementia.

She had a doctor's appointment yesterday and I had complied a list of some of the troubling behaviours she's been exhibiting.

It's hard not to feel like a heel while rhyming off a litany of transgressions like:

Forgetting significant events in her life -- including my (her only child's) birth date.
Withdrawing large sums of cash for no reason.
Greeting complete strangers like friends.
Forgetting how to cook or that she's eaten at all.
Forgetting to collect the mail or leaving it unopened.
Forgetting how to do simple things like use the television remote.
Putting things in the wrong spot -- like opened soup in the cupboard.
Having difficulty carrying on conversations, often staring blankly into space.
Forgetting friends and phone numbers that she's known all her life.
Losing sight of me in the grocery store parking lot, and waiting patiently...behind someone else's car.

Unmarried and childless, I sometimes wonder who'll advocate on my behalf when I'm my Mother's age. It would be too easy to take advantage of someone like my mother. She has become a 7 year old in a 78 year old's body.

I mentioned this to my best friend and told him he'd better be ready. I'm getting all set to become a burden on him.

2 comments:

Hez said...

Franny - I'm so sorry. You're unbelievably strong. I'm thinking of you...

wendywalnut said...

If and when I inherit buckets of money (har har), my plan is to open an old age home catering to folks, preferably LGBT (and others), who have not had offspring to suck up all their disposable income. Focus will be on unconventional entertainment, quality food, and unusual outings. All staff must be young, good-looking, and wear racy flight attendant-like uniforms. Of course you can live there for free.