Thursday, March 17, 2011

Balance

I've been thinking a lot about work/life balance recently. What free time is worth to me.

Over the past year, the number of billable hours I spend at the office has increased along with the non-billable hours I spend checking my hand-held.

I've become that girl.

Mobility is great, but it's created a culture of instant gratification junkies. Where your email sits beside me on the couch on weekday nights, pierces my Sunday morning, and joins me on vacation.

Workaholism is a socially acceptable addiction. In fact, it's encouraged.

This morning, on my walk into work, I was thinking about the guy who invented the atomic bomb. Story goes that once he'd invented it, he spent the rest of his life working for peace.

Just because we can, doesn't mean we should.

2 comments:

Blodwynn said...

Well said.

wendywalnut said...

Yup. Your employer isn't going to help you pee into a cup when you are older. xo