Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Happiness is...

Happiness isn't getting what you want.
It's wanting what you get.


It's taken me four decades on this little blue green planet to figure out the wisdom in these words. I've spent a lot of years trying to mold situations and people into my image of them.

Didn't work. Never will.

So I started detaching more. Became less invested in the outcome that I decreed, and became more in tune with the miraculous moment by moment play that is this precious, individualized life we're given.

Listened more. Talked less.

Enjoyed the moment. Trusted that the universe was looking out for me. Slammed fewer doors.

And holy cow. Something incredible happened. Happiness rang my doorbell and came right in.

Not every day is fa-la-la-la, but most days are. And the ones that aren't, well....they pass.

So that's my wish for you, this holiday time. Whatever you celebrate, and with whomever you're with, may you have peace today and always.

And when happiness rings your doorbell. Let it in.

3 comments:

Hez said...

This is why I think you're so awesome.

Have a GREAT holiday, lady! See you in the New Year!!

Joe said...

I needed to read this post this morning. Just when I think I reprogrammed myself - I am attached to my vision of the outcome.

Detach from the outcome - powerful. That is my deal today - not detaching and accepting the moment.

I have to tape a list of things to remember to my forehead - except the paper would scroll down to the floor like the Magna Carta -

I hope you are well and keep on finding the peace you deserve.

By the way - the word verfification letters (below) that I have to type in to post this response are the letters "exists"

Interesting - a sign perhaps?

Joe

Anonymous said...

yup, great post. i think i may incorporate the 'detach from the outcome' element into my new year's resolutions.