Monday, December 8, 2008

Little Gems


I love writing for Canadian Tourism because when I do, I get to talk about some of the hidden gems you only know about when you actually live in a city. Places like Urban Herbivore.

For the vegans among us, Urban Herbivore in Kensington Market is one of those places you only dream about. You can eat ANYTHING on the menu. And it's served up, with love, by folks who look like they really couldn't work anywhere else, except maybe a record store. Guys who have ear plugs like a Masai warrior, and girls covered in full body tattoos.

It's one of my favourite places to go on winter weekends, because they serve up a killer Sweet Potato and Date muffin, and a cup of ginger green tea, with tons of real ginger floating in it. If I get there before the sweet potato muffins come out of the oven, I can be fairly happy with the Apple Walnut, as well.

After that, it's only a short walk down the street to The Blue Banana. This is shopping at its finest. Dozens of tiny shops under a single roof. I bought the cutest boiled wool wrap skirt there a couple of weeks ago, made entirely from recycled fabrics. If you like the One of a Kind Show, you'll like The Blue Banana even more, since it's year-round and free to browse.

But you'd be remiss for leaving Kensington Market without poking around one of the areas many vintage clothing stores. I've always had a lot of luck with Exile, but I think that's because the staff is incredibly friendly, and I feel like I'm having a visit, and not just shopping.

I was in on the weekend, because I'm putting together an outfit for our Christmas Party this week. The theme is old and new Hollywood, and I was looking for a crinoline to match my vintage 50s cocktail dress. Not only did I find one, but it's hot pink and matches the hint of pink on the gown. Score!

No comments: