Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Bliss is Back

The hardest part of a silent meditation retreat is easily the day it ends. Re-entry is tough. After a week of relatively little stimulation in a scent free environment, it's like the whole world is one particularly loud Lush store.

So I breathe in and out.

One of the lingering effects of my mindfulness retreat is this: I haven't had a cup of coffee or any kind of caffeinated beverage for over a week and a half.

Surprisingly, I didn't have any headaches coming down off the stuff and, while I really do love the taste of coffee, my body feels a lot calmer without it.

I'm not sure I'll keep off it. Coffee is such a pleasure...and frankly, it's pretty much a necessity in the business I work in. How else am I going to pull the late hours on numerous deadlines?

But for now, I'm enjoying being caffeine free. Like that new Coke.

2 comments:

Blodwynn said...

I was going to write and say I'm coming with you next year. (How do we laugh in silence?) until I saw the no coffee thing.

I run, I cook meals with specific vitamins and nutrients in mind, I get lots of sleep and I avoid stress. However in my effort to "live my best life", I couldn't do this without coffee...just a couple of cups a day...but still coffee.

If I wanted to completely deprive myself of all human pleasure and enjoyable experiences, I'd find a friend with a blank stare and a big smile, walk a few doors down and fill out an application for us at the nice little Jehovah Witness Centre.

Have a java on me today.

wendywalnut said...

curious to hear if you are back on the 'ffeine? i take great pains to limit it, as i do find that there is a direct proportionate relationship to anxiety. :) but one cup a day is usually fine..