Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Putting Six Feet Under to Rest

After a marathon viewing session over the past two weeks, I finished watching the final season of Six Feet Under last night and I feel bereft.

It's like saying goodbye to my TV family.

Those of you who know me know that I'm an early-to-bed early-to-rise kind of girl. So you'll be surprised to know that I stayed up until midnight watching the series finale, and a few extras that came with the DVD. I also had myself a good cathartic cry, which made for some deep, dream-filled sleep.

I doubt that there's anything on TV today or ever that could surpass the writing quality of Six Feet Under. It has a power to delight, intrigue, and challenge. It never takes shortcuts or takes the viewer's intelligence for granted.

And while it's a show that began every episode with a death, it was clearly and profoundly about life and about living your own perfectly flawed truth.

I love the seamlessness that watching the series on DVD affords. But now that I'm through, I'm looking for another series to follow. Does anyone have any suggestions?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big Love!

Ryan McNeil said...

There's always The Sopranos.

I seem to remember watching the final few episodes of SFU and thinking to myself that I'd never seen anything sadder on TV. Of course, it didn't help that like you, I stayed up to watch them well past my bedtime...all alone.

wendywalnut said...

I second 'The Sopranos' - I haven't seen them all, but it comes highly recommended.

The series finale of SFU stayed with me for ages. It was so artfully done. I want to watch it again, but am kinda scared.