Monday, August 31, 2009

Bookstores I have loved



I visit bookstores the same way that some people visit cathedrals. It's rare that I leave one without some religious experience or other.

So imagine my delight when I found another candidate to add to the list of bookstores I have loved.

McNally Robinson, at the newish Shops at Don Mills is a divine undertaking. It's a family-run independent bookseller with stores in Winnipeg and Saskatoon and believes in the values of community bookselling.

The 20,000 square feet of space is a hive of activity, too. There are regular author readings, live music on Fridays and Saturdays, and a wonderful looking restaurant called Prairie Ink that tries, as much as possible, to source local produce. You can join Stuart McLean, host of the Vinyl Cafe, there for brunch on September 29th.

Almost as soon as I discovered it, I started fearing for its demise. Please shop there.

3 comments:

Ryan McNeil said...

Thanks for the tip - I'll go give it a look! I think the closest I ever came to literary Nirvana was browsing through The Strand bookstore in NYC...damn near blew my entire spending money budget in one go!

Blodwynn said...

Just another thing you and I have in common.
I spent six hours in Pages Bookstore in Singapore once.
From my recent trip to Halifax, I came across this wonderful little gem. Share the love.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kimlacroix/577963934/

- j. said...

please do let me know anytime you're heading there and want some company!