Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Recurring Nightmares

When I was a litle girl, we lived in a two bedroom apartment on the second floor of a two story walk-up on Algonquin Avenue in North Bay.

For years, I had the same dream, every three or four month.

In my dream, I'd wake up, make my way down the hall, past my parents bedroom, and into the living room.

Once I got to the living room, the "souls" (and this is the best way I can describe them) living there would emerge from where they were hiding, behind the couch, the rocking chair, and under the kitchen table. They'd simply look at me, or beckon me with their crooked fingers.

I would stand there -- cold and immobilized -- unable to move or run.

Eventually we moved out of that apartment, into a house on Galt Street, and I stopped having that dream. I may have also stopped having that dream after someone explained to me that if you find yourself unable to run in a dream, jumping usually works.

I never did figure out what it meant, but I thought of it this morning because I've been tagged to accept the CMA Award for SickKids at the big Gala at the Harbour Castle on Friday night. It's what an old boss of mine used to call, The Prom.

I've won before, but never had to accept. Usually the clients are more than happy to enjoy their time in the sun.

If we win a Merit, I'm off the hook. But, if we win a Gold or Silver, I have to get up, make my way up the side steps on to the stage, accept the trophy, and make my way down the front steps...in front of probably 1,000 souls.

Nightmare.

David Bowie once said, "God made Tina Turner to teach women how to walk in high heels." Where the hell is Tina Turner when I need her?

5 comments:

Hez said...

You will be FABULOUS, don't you worry! I'm looking forward to seeing you. And GOOD LUCK! :)

©km said...

Just don't wear heals. You'll be fine. Pretend you're going up there to sing karaoke infront of 1000 souls who already know you, or something.

I'll give you your own bravery bead after you complete this one.

JT said...

i feel your pain...one of my biggest fears is walking in front of crowds...like at a graduation, or wedding procession or accepting some sort of award on stage...

the fear of falling is only punctuated by the number of times beyoncé has fallen and it gets posted on You Tube.

Anonymous said...

Convince yourself that you have to give a speech in front of all of these people, and then just walking up and saying nothing won't seem so bad.

wendywalnut said...

two words: wedge heels. i'm like a drunken giraffe in anything more than 1 cm off the ground, but can manage wedge heels.
anyway, i know you'll be fine - so much to draw strength from! :) xow