Saturday, August 6, 2011

Moving on up

This blog is about to get interesting. Well, at least I hope it is.

On Monday I'm moving my Mom into a retirement home while I get ready to move myself across the world to the land of yodelling and dark chocolate to work for the organization with all the flags.

It's a big deal.

But anyone who know me, knows that getting to this decision has been one of the hardest things I've ever done.

I've been presented with my made-for-me dream job during a nightmarish time with my Mom. Middle stage Alzheimer's isn't for sissies. It's the biggest lesson in patience I've ever been taught.

Yet, no matter what I choose, it's not going to end well for my Mom. Staying here won't halt the inevitable, though it might ease it some. Moving her into a retirement home would have happened soon enough anyway. She can no longer handle even the most basic decisions.

Still, despite plans to return every 4 to 5 weeks, leaving the country fills me with such guilt.

Surprisingly -- or maybe not -- some of the most comforting words of reassurance have come from my hairdresser and the mother of a girl I used to work with. Funny how wisdom comes from different corners.

Somehow their perspective, their objectivity and their compassion have penetrated my anxiety and have helped me move forward, when I'd really rather wedge my head between the sofa cushions and weep.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The world needs you. It's the biggest calling anyone could receive. There will be many seats reserved for you upstairs friend.

Like my Mom always says "if it was easy, everyone would be doing it"

Hez said...

We all love you, Franny! Good luck, and I know we'll be seeing you again soon.

wendywalnut said...

So, so, so happy to see you posting again!!